Sunday, July 20, 2008

Anarchy, State & Utopia...

I’ll take a quick stab at defending anarchy (more closely, anarcho-capitalism), because it seems to be taking a bad rap from statists of all degrees with the perception it is only a Utopian ideal or ignorant et cetera.


My property is my effort. Indeed it is the ultimate expression of my effort; a mark of my existence. When does my effort become that of the state? What becomes of my effort when I have no definable right, but what others feel is just by the collective?


Consensus, or middle ground is the result of a group having their property taken by tax and getting it back in altered portions. How often is the outcome equal? And if it was equal, why contribute to the great bureaucracy of government in the first place?


I would say that democracy is a great disbeliever of morality within humans (perhaps second to religion). We are innately bad…


Joe down the road needs a hand up, so we need to coerce our terrible nation through tax to give him that hand. We can’t be charitable? We can’t be trusted to help that man?


How much do we pour out of our pockets every day to help find a cure for cancer? Is that through the wisdom of democracy? Or is it through the wisdom and morality of the individual willing to pass on his effort (albeit for altruistic gratification)?


I am growing more discontent with the LDP (Liberty and Democracy Party) simply for its tiptoeing around rights. Social rights are clear in the party…that is it. The consensus drawing on everything else is pitiful. To be honest it was the main motivator for finding another party outside of Labor and Liberal.


Participation in a democracy with clear property rights before the law is the only form of government that will hold any ounce of morality, and one that liberty and freedom enshrines.


I do believe in the rule of law, and I do believe in fundamental rights. Rights that cannot, under any circumstances, be contradicted. You either hold title over your efforts, or you don’t. There is no middle road.


I’ll give two quotes –


“The law perverted! The law - and, in its wake, all the collective forces of the nation. The law, I say, not only diverted from its proper direction, but made to pursue one entirely contrary! The law becomes the tool of every kind of avarice, instead of being its check! The law guilty of that very inequity which it was its mission to punish!” Frederic Bastiat’s The Law.


“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law,’ because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” Thomas Jefferson.

No comments: