Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The scribbles that made their way into my notepad for day one of my trip...

I stopped writing into this thing after a day. I should also note that I kept slipping in and out of past and present tense because I was doing just that at the time.


---


Flying to LA...


Didn’t sleep – just wasn’t going to happen.


Didn’t have to pay for entertainment.


Started watching Twilight...big mistake...Ended up laughing out loud because it was so pathetic. Edward Cullen – ugly attempt at James Dean or something. His eyebrows bundled with his facial structure almost makes me want to vomit. Acting is poor. Only a mindless teen will get anything out of this.


Stopped movie at 30 minutes. Can’t believe I got so far.


I don’t have a pen, only a mechanical pencil. Will need to borrow one to fill out the arrival forms. Can’t seem to decide who to ask (Tania is only two rows behind, and the old couple next to me have one). Need to ask eventually.


Only an hour to go – glad I had an aisle seat. I think I used the toilet more than anyone else on the plane—go me...


My nose has been dry for a couple of hours now. It is really annoying.


5.40 AM LA time, 10.40 AEST – Haven’t landed, but felt like noting the time. I’ve been up since 5 AM Brisbane time—still a long day ahead.


On the excitement part (Where in the lead up to this holiday everyone asks “Are you excited yet?” or “Are you getting excited?”—being on the plane, it still hasn’t hit me yet. Might happen when the plane lands. Hell it might not happen until I see something iconic, like the Golden Gate Bridge. I’m not suggesting that I won’t “feel” it—I will!


Would it be lame to have The Doors’ “L.A. Woman” playing as I land? Who cares, I’m going to.


I wonder what passing through customs is like in America. I could be “randomly selected” again like back in Brisbane.


I think I’ll stop writing my random thoughts down...have to fill in forms.


OK – I’VE MADE IT


I’M IN THE USA!


I did end up listening to L.A. Woman as we landed. I must be a tacky sentimentalist.


I walked from the international terminal to terminal ‘1’ to catch my Southwest Airlines flight to SFO. Just as I was leaving, I got hawked at the exit. A guy gave me advice on getting to the Southwest terminal and ran a guilt trip to squeeze money out of me to help children or whatever. First expense in the USA – charity - $5!


I should mention that as I was landing, I felt the excitement I’ve been waiting for. Ever since I landed I have had a smile on my face.


Going through customs – there were no smiles. Got served by a Russian-American Homeland Security Guard.


Passing through the second phase of customs, I handed the man my passport. ‘Are you an enemy of the State my man?’ he said looking at my t-shirt. My response was ‘not this State!’ and I was allowed through...


One thing I can say about LAX—old! (and crummy).


I felt lost as usual, but managed to check my baggage at Southwest without much trouble. Since I got out of customs quickly, I asked about getting an earlier flight. The cost was $75, so I didn’t bother, and stuck with the original flight to SFO (a 3 hour wait).


Now, getting through security check here is more intensive that flying internationally! I had to take my shoes off!


When I passed security, I just roamed around looking at the different stores and immediately noticed the amount of bars. This tempted me to buy a beer (Samuel Adams Light at $6.75 – expensive methinks). Got checked for age, and asked if I was from England.


After the beer, I needed a coffee. It hit me that I had been up for a while. Still felt pretty good though.


At Starbucks (couldn’t be anywhere else), I wasn’t sure how to order a normal coffee, so just went for a cappuccino. Thought I had correct change – another mistake! Didn’t remember Lisa’s advice – tax is on top of their listed price – out came an extra dollar...


Now, I’m just sitting around waiting to catch my flight, writing this crap out because I’ve nothing better to do!


Latest update heading to San Francisco...DELAYED! Not 10.50, but 12.30 now.


Something tells me I should have changed to the earlier time!


FUN-FUN-FUN.


*A random note about LAX (and America) – Shoe shiners!


Tried out internet access from a kiosk. I will probably need to change my passwords now.


There is apparently fog and rain in SFO, and it isn’t too flash here – where is the sunshine? Did I mention that I hate shitty weather?


Caught the crappy Southwest Airline plane – it would remind people of Ansett here...


Plus side - soft drinks were included. Ended up getting a coffee with cream, which turned out being some chemical filled powder. Whatever it was, the coffee tasted terrible. I can see why they are cheap anyway. The staff seem ordinary, unlike people you would find on Virgin Blue (I’m not fussed by it, just pointing it out – they’re old).


As indicated earlier, SFO is wet and foggy here. I swear we had one of the slowest landings because of the conditions – it didn’t help I needed to do the biggest pee in my life.


Having just caught the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), I can’t really say much about San Francisco yet. Bad weather doesn’t help much.


My neck hurts from carrying the suitcase, and I’ve yawned about a hundred times. It’s also cool, a bit like Melbourne weather at the moment.


Just saw some pigeons...are these notes me talking to myself...might be better when Shane turns up.

No comments: